Monday, March 22, 2010

Immigration Family History Expo

On Thursday March 18, 2010 I attended the Imigration Family History Expo at the historic Masonic Temple at 650 East South Temple in Salt Lake City. It was a very interesting and very full day.
I heard keynote addresses by Lew Cramer and Elizabeth Goryunova from the World Trade Center about the importance of immigration to our nation's economy. Holly T. Hansen told us the fascinating history of her ancestor Matthew McBlain Thompson who was a Mason. I got many research ideas from Kory L. Meyerink and Arlene H. Eakle. I was fascinated by the research results now available online MormonMigration.byu.edu about Mormon immigrant ships presented by Fred Woods. I have ordered the book When the Saints Went Marching In by Fred Woods and Tom Farmer about the history of Latter-day Saints in St. Louis. My ancestors William and Susannah Hurst and their family spent three years in St. Louis preparing to come west to Utah. I watched the documentary film Forgotten Ellis Island and heard its creator Lori Conway speak about it.
At the end of the day I had marvelous feelings of appreciation for all those who immigrated to our wonderful country. I am so thankful that my ancestors came here. I also am excited about pursuing their history.

No comments: